Yesterday saw a lot of activity in support of asylum seekers. Asylum seekers, concerned citizens, organisations, politicians, and academics were out standing, walking, and chanting side-by-side in events across the country. There was plenty of news coverage, and the Human Rights in Ireland blog featured a new post every hour from guest writers, including personal accounts from residents of direct provision centres.
I’ve collected the coverage I could find below. If there’s anything I’ve missed, please feel free to email me at sasi.ireland (at) gmail (dot) com. I haven’t got any photos from Tralee or Galway yet.
And if you’d still like to take part in the campaign, you can sign the petition to end direct provision (available until June 20) or, if you live in Cork, you can take part in the email campaign to Kathleen Lynch TD and David Stanton TD.
- Cork: via Nasc here, here, here, here, and here, via Michael O’Riordain
- Dublin: via End Institutional Living Day of Action, via Africa World Newspaper, via Irish Refugee Council here, here, here, here and here, via Immigrant Council of Ireland, via Migrant Rights Centre Ireland, via Jillian van Turnhout, via Samantha Arnold
- Limerick: via Doras Luimni, via I Love Limerick
- Castlebar: via Mayo Intercultural Action, via Alison Laredo, via June Devaney
- Broadsheet “An Asylum Seeker Writes” 23 April
- Cork Independent “The Campaigner – ‘End Institutional Living’ Campaign” 17 April and “Asylum Seekers Take To The Streets” 25 April
- Evening Echo “System a Product of Broken Asylum Protection” 23 April
- Human Rights in Ireland Blog Blog Carnival 23 April
- Irish Independent “Asylum seekers’ plight highlighted” 23 April and “Retired Supreme Court Judge Warns Shatter on Asylum Seekers” 23 April
- Irish Times “Next apology will be to asylum seeker children, warns former judge” 23 April and “Sentators Lend Support To Refugee Council’s Day Of Action” 22 April
- Mayo Advertiser “Mayo’s three hundred asylum seekers call for end to direct provision accommodation” 26 April
- Metro Herald “Asylum plight is a ‘Scandal’” 24 April
- RTE “Call to end direct provision accommodation for refugees” 23 April
- Statement by Phil Prendergast MEP 23 April
- thejournal.ie “Calls for Direct Provision to be overhauled” 23 April
- Wexford Echo “A Long Day’s Journey Into Ireland” 23 April
- worldirish.com “Asylum seekers and the perils of seeking protection in Ireland” 23 April
- Bob McDonald of Storyangle “No Place to Call Home” 23 April – focus on Galway
- Irish Refugee Council “End Institutionalised Living” 23 April – video of Dublin march
- RTE News “Situation of asylum seekers highlighted” 23 April
- RTE Morning Edition Sue Conlan & Lassane Ouedraogo talking about the End Institutionalised Living Campaign (from 57:07)